Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Meet & Greet with #Fantasy Author @NRNadarajah #GoodReads #MustRead


Why do you write? 
I write because I love telling stories, and because I don’t like repeating myself (insert chuckle here).
Have you always enjoyed writing?
Perhaps up until my preteen years, I wasn’t overly fond of writing. I loved telling stories, but I hated writing them down when my teachers insisted that I do so as a journal entry or a short story.
I didn’t quite have the patience for it then.
What motivates you to write? 
I always finish what I start, both for my sake, as well as those who’re involved. Whenever I run low on motivation, I tell myself that somewhere out there, someone’s waiting for me to finish writing my next book and I can’t disappoint them. I then throw on my film score soundtracks and force myself to put down a few words. During the first few minutes, my brain usually curses me for pushing it to wake up. But I keep pushing at it, greasing the wheels to get my train of thought rolling. Needless to say, once I do, my brain usually thanks me for having pushed it to start working.
What are you most proud of in your personal life? 
Growing up, I was often stressed and that, as a result, affected my personal life.
Having said that, the two things that I’m proud of are that I’ve learned to control my stress to the point it’s now almost nonexistent, and I’ve learned to keep my mood as mellow as possible. In the society we live in, and the hectic lifestyles we’re forced to live, it’s good to have those two traits. And because of those two traits, I’ve found a balance to my work, family, and personal lives, and it’s made all three that much better.
What books did you love growing up? 
Norpert Nipkin (my first experience reading fantasy as a child), which led to The Hobbit as a preteen, and ultimately, The Lord of the Rings as a teen.
As a preteen, I also loved books by Gary Paulsen, as well as random assortments of ‘choose-your-own-adventure books’. Whatever happened to those? I’d love to see them come back.
Who is your favorite author?
J.R.R. Tolkien, and the runner up is J.K. Rowling.
What genre of books do you adore?
I’m a fantasy buff. About 90% of the books I read fall into that genre. Aside from that, I’ve enjoyed some mystery, certain historical fiction, a little bit of sci-fi, and a bit of literary fiction.
What book should everybody read at least once? 
The Harry Potter series. For those who love reading, this is a must read. For those who don’t read, this is the perfect series to get them reading. The Harry Potter series is one that caters to almost anyone, regardless of age, gender, or reading preference.
Are there any books you really don’t enjoy? 
Books that thin down and degrade certain genres. There are many, many books I can name that have come out in recent years that have utterly and completely devastated certain genres, as well as folklore that took past generations many, many years to build. So that I don’t go on a rant, I’ll leave it at that.
What do you hope your obituary will say about you? 
That I loved life; I did what I wanted, how I wanted, when I wanted; that I loved to break down barriers when people said something couldn’t be done; and that I loved to make people laugh.
Location and life experiences can really influence writing, tell us where you grew up and where you now live? 
Until I’d turned four, I lived in Jaffna, Sri Lanka, a small tropical island south of India. However, I’ve been a Torontonian since 1989 and don’t have any plans of leaving the city anytime soon.
Haunted by memories of his massacred settlement, sixteen-year-old Weaver seeks cover in a hidden refuge among the remains of a ruined city. In the midst of building a new life, Weaver discovers that he has the amazing power to cast his dreams into reality. Convinced it’s just an anomaly, Weaver ignores it. That is until he learns of a mysterious man who shares the ability, and uses his power to bring nightmares into existence and wage war on the world. The peaceful life Weaver hoped for begins to unravel as waves of chaos begin to break loose about him. In a race against time, Weaver must learn to accept his role as a dream caster and master his new power, before his new home is destroyed and humanity is pushed to the brink of extinction.
Buy @ Amazon & Smashwords
Genre – Fantasy
Rating – PG
More details about the author
Connect with Najeev Raj Nadarajah on Facebook & Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates